Botox® is an injectable cosmetic designed to reduce the appearance of lines, wrinkles, and deep furrows on the face. It targets frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines by deactivating wrinkling-causing muscles deep in the face.
Botulinum Toxin AKA Botox®
Some patients are surprised to discover that Botox® is short for botulinum toxin, a defensive chemical produced by the bacteria, Clostridium Botulinum. Superficially, injecting a chemical into the face that contains the word “toxin” seems unwise. But the phrase “botulinum toxin” is just a scientific naming convention. In reality, Botox® offers considerable cosmetic benefits and is the most popular treatment of its kind in the world.
Botox® is a neurotoxin – a chemical that has the ability to deactivate muscles in the face. It blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, preventing nerve signals from traveling from the brain to wrinkle-causing muscles in the face. The result is a smoother, more beautiful complexion with fewer furrows.
The procedure usually takes the doctos at Capital Laser & Skin Care around 10 minutes. Results show up within the first 24 to 48 hours. Furrows and frown lines appear dramatically reduced.
Capital Laser & Skin Care adopts a personalized approach to Botox® injections. We perform treatments by hand with the goal of producing balanced results that don’t look overdone. Before the first session, our team develops a plan to help you maintain a stunning and naturally vibrant look long term.
Benefits of Botox®
Botox® offers a host of benefits, making it the most popular cosmetic treatment in the world.
- Subtle enhancement: Most patients who come to Capital Laser & Skin Care just want to look like a younger, more attractive version of themselves. Unlike many interventions, Botox® doesn’t alter the proportions of your face. Instead, it offers subtle, delicate improvements so you can still look like you.
- FDA-approved: Botox® received FDA approval all the way back in 1989. Since then, millions of patients have received the treatment.
- Quick: Botox® only takes a few minutes to administer. Once complete, the effects begin showing up within just a couple of days, making you look younger, healthier, and more vibrant.
- Long-lasting: Botox® typically lasts between three and four months. Some patients can see results for up to six months. Maintenance is easy. Just schedule an appointment with Dr. Tanzi, Dr. Shah or Dr. Peters.
- Affordable: Botox® is one of the most affordable cosmetic procedures, allowing you to enhance your appearance, without breaking the bank.
Am I a Candidate for Botox®?
Botox® is one of the safest cosmetic procedures available. It is suitable for anyone who wants to reduce the appearance of frown lines, forehead lines, crow’s feet, or furrows elsewhere on the face.
Patients who have a neurological disease or are pregnant shouldn’t use Botox®.
“I highly recommend Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi and Capital Laser & Skin Care. I have had multiple services performed by Dr. Tanzi and her staff, and couldn’t be more pleased with the results and overall care. Over the years I’ve had botox on my forehead, laser hair removal on my legs, under arms and bikini line, and brown spot removal on my face. Most recently I had Coolsculpting on my chin (or double chin, that is) and belly. Dr. Tanzi made recommendations based on my unique characteristics, set clear expectations for results, and never pushed services that I didn’t need or that wouldn’t work on me. Her honest and natural approach in this field is truly unique and appreciated. The results met or exceeded expectations every time – I’m thrilled with the end results. I never thought anything could get rid of my double chin, but after two treatments with mini Coolsculpting it is finally gone. And all of the staff in the office are professional and very caring, ensuring that you are as comfortable as possible during your procedures. The office feels more like a spa that a doctor’s office, which helps tremendously (there are TV’s in the rooms for Coolsculpting, which made the time fly, thank goodness). I get complimented quite often that I don’t look like I’m in my late 40s, and I attribute that to the excellent work of Dr. Tanzi.” *
Take the Next Step
Interested in learning more about Botox®? We would love to speak with you. Please fill out the form on this page to request a consultation or call our Chevy Chase, MD office today at (301) 798-9699 to schedule your private consultation at our laser and cosmetic dermatology center, located just blocks away from Washington, D.C.