Botox® is perhaps the world’s most popular cosmetic injectable – something that millions of people use each year to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. But what is it actually made of? Let’s find out.
Scientists classify Botox® as a neurotoxin, but don’t let that scare you. At Capital Laser & Skin Care, we apply it in microscopic amounts to inactivate the muscles that contribute to dynamic wrinkles. By relaxing them, Botox® produces long-lasting smoothness and relief from surface lines and wrinkles.
Botox® received FDA clearance for medical purposes all the way back in 1989. Since then, has been in continual use in the medical and cosmetic world, with millions of procedures carried out in the intervening period. Patients of Dr. Shah, Dr. Tanzi and Dr. Peters can combine Botox® with other treatments, such as dermal fillers for enhanced anti-aging results.
What Botox® is Made Of
Botox® is a proprietary prescription drug which gets its name from the chemical it is made of: botulinum toxin type A.
Botulinum toxin type A comes from Clostridium botulinum bacteria. It is the same chemical that causes botulism – a type of food poisoning. However, when it comes to safety, dosage is everything. Ingesting large amounts of the substance can cause a severe reaction. However, applying Botox® to the face in microscopic quantities is safe and helps you to look great at the same time!
How Safe is Botox®?
Many patients are put off by Botox® because scientists classify it as a toxin. However, in reality, it is one of the safest cosmetic procedures available, especially when done by an experienced practitioner at Capital Laser & Skin Care.
Benefits of Botox®
Botox® offers considerable benefits that set it apart from many other cosmetic treatments.
- Reduction in lines and wrinkles: Botox® works to relax muscles in the face, preventing them from creating furrows and grooves on the surface. Within days, furrows appear reduced.
- Long lasting effects: It also lasts a long time. Patients can expect results from Botox® infections to persist for three and four months before requiring a top-up.
- No downtime: You can get Botox® during your lunch break and return to work in the afternoon as if nothing happened.
- Compound effects: The longer you use Botox®, the more it helps the muscles in your face relax, and the less frequently you require injections.
- Fully reversible: If you don’t like the results of Botox®, you can simply wait for your body to process it and your face to return to normal.
- Natural appearance: Botox® lets you become the best version of you without looking artificial or “plastic.”
Am I a Candidate for Botox®?
Good candidates for Botox® include anyone with fine lines and wrinkles that they would like minimized. Those with allergies to Botox® or other constituents in Botox®-based products should avoid the treatment.
Your candidacy will be discussed at length during your initial consultation at Capital Laser & Skin Care.
Capital laser and skin care is the best dermatology practice I’ve ever been to. I’ve seen both Dr. Peters and Dr. Tanzi, who are both extremely intelligent, caring, highly skilled, practical – and gorgeous! The staff is excellent – very caring, skilled, excellent training, professional, and easy to talk to. I highly recommend Capital Laser to anyone seeking to take fabulous care of their skin. You will be in the best hands here.
Take the Next Step
Interested in learning more about Botox®? We would love to speak with you. Please fill out the form on this page to request a consultation or call our Chevy Chase, MD office today at (301) 798-9699 to schedule your private consultation at our laser and cosmetic dermatology center, located just blocks away from Washington, D.C.